Employer remuneration return
If you are a South Australian business registered with us, you will need to provide an employer remuneration return by 15 September every year to help us to accurately calculate your insurance premium for the coming year.
You must keep an accurate account of all remuneration paid or payable to your workers. Any accounts and other information required to be kept must be within South Australia and in the English language.
What do I include in my employer remuneration return?
You will need to provide:
- Remuneration details for your organisation, including apprentices and company directors. Refer to What is remuneration? for more information on what makes up remuneration.
- Details of any labour hire businesses used including their name, ABN and amount paid. Refer to Businesses using labour supply for more information.
Changes to the 2019-20 premium process
We have improved our end of year premium process to make it easier for you to do business with us.
You will have more time to submit your remuneration information – 10 weeks instead of 3-4 weeks from 3 July to 15 September.
You can choose to pay your premium in 9 equal instalments from October to June or one annual payment in October.
You can choose to have your 2019-20 premium calculated using the actual remuneration you paid your workers in the 2018-19 financial year:
- you will only need to provide the actual remuneration you paid your workers in the previous financial year
- you will not need to provide estimated remuneration for the upcoming financial year, reducing the amount of information you need to provide and giving you more time to get on with running your business
- ReturnToWorkSA will not adjust your premium at the end of the financial year – providing you with certainty of your insurance costs
- you will still receive the same workplace injury cover
- if your business experiences financial hardship causing a significant decrease in remuneration you can apply for a premium adjustment during the year.
While you will still receive a premium adjustment for the 2018-19 financial year, if you choose to have your 2019-20 premium based on actual remuneration, ReturnToWorkSA will not adjust your premium at the end of the financial year.
You can still choose to have your 2019-20 premium calculated using the estimated remuneration payable to workers in the 2019-20 financial year if this method better suits your business:
- you will need to provide the actual remuneration you paid your workers in the previous financial year AND the estimated remuneration for the upcoming financial year
- ReturnToWorkSA will adjust your premium at the end of the financial year when your actual remuneration is known – you will receive an additional bill or a refund.
Each year you can choose whether your premium is calculated based on actual or estimated remuneration.
If you choose to provide estimated remuneration, it is important that you provide an accurate estimate; otherwise you may find you receive a significant bill or refund at the end of the year.
If the remuneration you expect to pay to your workers for 2019-20 is less than $13,041, you may not have a requirement to be registered and may wish to cancel your registration.
For more information please call us on 13 18 55 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday or email firstname.lastname@example.org.