Employer remuneration return
If you are a South Australian business registered with us, you will need to provide an employer remuneration return by 15 September every year to help us to accurately calculate your insurance premium for the coming year.
You must keep an accurate account of all remuneration paid or payable to your workers. Any accounts and other information required to be kept must be within South Australia and in the English language.
What do I include in my employer remuneration return?
You will need to provide:
- Remuneration details for your organisation, including apprentices and company directors. Refer to What is remuneration? for more information on what makes up remuneration.
- Details of any labour hire businesses used including their name, ABN and amount paid. Refer to Businesses using labour supply for more information.
When you complete your employer remuneration return you can choose to have your 2022-23 premium calculated based on either:
- the actual remuneration paid to workers in the 2021-22 financial year, or
- the estimated remuneration you expect will be payable to workers during the 2022-23 financial year.
If you choose to have your 2022-23 premium calculated using the actual remuneration you paid your workers in the 2021-22 financial year:
- you will only need to provide the actual remuneration you paid your workers in the previous financial year
- you will not need to provide estimated remuneration for the upcoming financial year, reducing the amount of information you need to provide and giving you more time to get on with running your business
- ReturnToWorkSA will not adjust your premium at the end of the financial year – providing you with certainty of your insurance costs.
If it better suits your business you can choose to have your 2022-23 premium calculated using the estimated remuneration payable to workers in the 2022-23 financial year:
- you will need to provide the actual remuneration you paid your workers in the previous financial year AND the estimated remuneration for the upcoming financial year
- ReturnToWorkSA will adjust your premium at the end of the financial year when your actual remuneration is known – you will receive an additional bill or a refund.
Each year you can choose whether your premium is calculated based on actual or estimated remuneration.
If you choose to provide estimated remuneration, it is important that you provide an accurate estimate; otherwise you may find you receive a significant bill or refund at the end of the year.
Paying your premium
You can choose to pay your premium in 9 equal instalments from October to June or one annual payment in October.
Your first premium payment is due on 7 October each year.
Read more about how to pay your premium.
If the remuneration you expect to pay to your workers for 2022-23 is less than $13,760, you may not have a requirement to be registered and may wish to cancel your registration.
For more information please call us on 13 18 55 between 8:30am and 5:30pm Monday to Friday or email firstname.lastname@example.org.