Male and female worker on construction site

Your support team

If you are injured at work, the following people may be involved in helping you recover from your injury and return to work and the community:

Claims manager


Your claims manager will be your primary contact and will work with you, your employer, your doctor, and any return to work service provider to coordinate your recovery and return to work.

They’ll provide fast, personalised support to help you recover from your injury and get back to work as soon as possible.

If it’s likely that you’ll be away from work for more than two weeks, a mobile claims manager may arrange to meet to help you and your employer develop and implement a recovery and return to work plan.

It’s important that you and your employer maintain regular contact with your claims manager.

Your claims manager will be your primary contact and will provide you with personalised support to help with your recovery and to remain at or return to work.

Return to work coordinator

If your employer has 30 or more workers, they must have a trained return to work coordinator to support you to recover and return to work.

Your coordinator can:

  • help you complete a claim form and any other paperwork
  • meet with you and your claims agent
  • assist you to remain at or return to work
  • keep in contact with you, the claims agent and medical providers
  • take steps to prevent re-injury or further injury
  • assist with preparing return to work plans
  • monitor the progress of your capacity and return to work.

If your workplace doesn't have a coordinator, someone else from your workplace should provide assistance. Talk to your claims agent and see what they can do to help.


Your doctor is responsible for assessing your injury, and together with you, deciding what kind of treatment you require, including the frequency and duration of the treatment. They will also help you to set some treatment goals, provide details of what you’re able to do via a Work Capacity Certificate and contribute to the development of your recovery and return to work plan.

It’s important to actively participate in your treatment planning to make sure that you get the best possible results. By providing feedback on how your treatment is going, you can also help your doctor work out the most appropriate treatment plan for your specific circumstances.

Allied health provider


Your doctor may refer you to an allied health provider who will provide treatment, advice and support to help you manage your injury independently and return to work and life. Your medical and health providers must be registered with a relevant registration board.

Return to work service provider

Your claims agent might engage a return to work service provider to assist you with job placement and training, or other specialists to help get you ready to return to work.

Accredited medical assessor

If your injury has resulted in a permanent impairment, an accredited impairment assessor will assess your injury and determine your level of permanent impairment.

Your claims agent will refer you for an impairment assessment once your injury has stabilised.