Report an injury or make a claim

On this page


If you’ve experienced a work-related injury or illness, you may be eligible for support and benefits by making a claim.

For employers

There are several ways to make a claim:


  • For employers, the quickest and easiest way to report an injury or make a claim is by logging in to the online services portal.

Report an injury or make a claim online

Need help logging into online services? Call ReturnToWorkSA on 13 18 55.

What you will need to make a claim online

  • Your business details and a contact person for the claim (note: this is not the injured worker)
  • Worker details including their date of birth, mobile phone number and email
  • Details of the injury as well as where and how the injury happened
  • The worker’s gross weekly earnings
  • Worker payslips for the last 12 months, payment summary and employment contract.

By phone

- external s

After you have submitted the claim details, we will contact the worker to confirm their intent to proceed with the claim.

If you make a claim within five business days of being notified by the worker that they want to submit it, you may be eligible for a waiver of the employer excess.

Some workplace incidents also require employers to notify SafeWork SA- external site- external site- external site- external site- external site- external site- external site.

Types of claims

Employers can now make the following claims through the online services portal:

  • Physical injury
  • Psychological injury
  • Noise-induced hearing loss
  • Dust injury
  • Death and dependency.

For workers

If you’ve been injured or become ill because of your work you need to:

  1. Immediately let your employer know that you’ve been injured
  2. See a doctor so they can assess your injury- external site- external site- external site- external site- external site and determine treatment for recovery
  3. Ask your doctor to provide you with a work capacity certificate (PDF)- external site- external site- external site- external site- external site if you’ve lost time from work. The work capacity certificate tells us about your injury or illness, and what treatment you need.

You can start a work injury claim before obtaining a work capacity certificate from your doctor. However you will need this when submitting the claim.

Proceeding with a claim

If you decide to proceed with your claim, there are a few ways to do this:

  • The quickest and easiest way is for your employer to make a claim online. Once they have done this, your claims agent will be in touch to get your consent to go ahead with your claim and discuss the next steps
  • If your employer is unable to make a claim on your behalf you can call your claims agent- external site to make a claim.

Further assistance

Interpreter and translator services

To contact ReturnToWorkSA in a language other than English, please call the Interpreting and Translating Centre on 1800 280 203- external site- external site- external site- external site and ask them to contact us on 13 18 55. This interpreting service is available at no cost to you.

Deaf and hearing and speech impairment services

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment you can call ReturnToWorkSA through the National Relay Service: