Report an injury or make a claim

1. Notify your employer

Let your employer know that you’ve been injured as soon as possible. If you’re physically unable to do this yourself, a colleague, family member or friend can do this on your behalf.

Employers must report certain incidents to SafeWork SA on 1800 777 209.

2. See a doctor

See a doctor so they can assess your injury and determine treatment for your recovery. If you've lost time from work and intend to make a claim, you'll need the doctor to provide you with a Work Capacity Certificate   (PDF, 634 KB). 

The Work Capacity Certificate sets out a recommended treatment plan and the tasks you can do safely at work while you’re recovering. In most cases remaining at work or returning to work as soon as possible is beneficial for your health and wellbeing.

You can start a work injury claim before obtaining a Work Capacity Certificate from a doctor.

3. Speak to a claims specialist

It’s best to call your claims agent as soon as you can. Wherever possible we encourage you do this together with your employer. You are not required to complete a form to make a claim.

Phone EML on 1800 688 825  

Phone Gallagher Bassett on 1800 774 177

Don't know who your claims agent is? Find your claims agent.

For silicosis claims contact ReturnToWorkSA on 08 8233 2545 or email

To help speed up your claim please have the following information handy when you call:

  • your preferred contact details
  • your employer’s details
  • the details of your injury, including when and where it occurred
  • any medical information you have, including which doctor/s you have seen and what treatment you are currently having
  • any other information you think will assist.

The claims specialist will ask for further details if needed, depending upon the circumstances of the claim.

If you’re unable to call now, leave your details and we’ll call you back at your preferred time.

Employers may be eligible for financial incentives for early claim lodgement.

Workers of self-insured employers should speak to their employer about making a claim.