Tools and resources for a mentally healthy workplace
There are a range of tools and resources available for small, medium and large businesses to assist in creating a mentally healthy workplace.
Creating an action plan
A first step is identifying priority areas of focus and then developing an action plan for your business. Heads Up provides a free and simple action plan tool to help you develop a tailored strategy. A key to a successful action plan is to take the time to seek input from your employees as part of the process.
The Heads Up developing a workplace mental health strategy: A how-to guide for organisations is a comprehensive guide that allows managers to systematically develop and implement a plan to establish a mentally healthy workplace. The guide contains an Action Plan template to help develop your plan.
Useful tools and resources
Free tools and resources are available to help businesses to get started on their mentally healthy workplace journey.
- a starter pack provides communication tools and templates to show your mental health commitment within the workplace
- information on how to have a conversation with someone you are concerned about
- tips for managing stress at work or workplace bullying
- supporting someone with a mental health condition to stay at or return to work by developing a plan
- online training developed by Beyond Blue to increase understanding of mental health in the workplace and provide practical strategies
- webinars and podcasts on workplace mental health
- specific resources for small business owners to create a mentally healthy workplace as well as looking after yourself.
Safe Work Australia has developed national guidance material for work-related psychological health and safety to assist workplaces in preventing psychological injuries and supporting recovery.
SA Health has tools and resources to develop a successful workplace program including "A workplace health and wellbeing toolkit" Free Skill Building Workshops and Webinars.
ReturnToWorkSA has workshops on mentally healthy workplaces and returning to work.
For more information and to register.
ReturnToWorkSA have webinars for workplaces including "Mentally Healthy Workplaces" - (Sept 2018) webinar presented by Mardi Webber (Mentally Healthy Workplaces Consultant, ReturnToWorkSA). This webinar focuses on:
- understanding why it's important to focus on mental health in the workplace
- critical success factors and making your workplace thrive
- free tools and resources that are available to support you in your role
- how to take action.
How we can help
Our specialised mentally healthy workplaces consultant can help you to identify and reduce risk factors to mental health in your workplace and can provide practical support, advice and resources. Contact us on (08) 8233 2495 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mental health support services
- as a workplace, you may have access to an Employee Assistance Program that you can promote to your employees
- Beyond Blue has a 24 hour 7 day week support service. Phone 1300 224 636 or website is available to email or chat online
- Regional Access has free professional telephone and online counselling 24 hours a day seven days a week for people 15 years and older living or working in regional South Australia. Phone 1300 032 186 for immediate support or use website for online counselling
- Adelaide Primary Health Network (PHN) have commissioned a wide range of mental health care services for the metropolitan area including a summary of Primary Mental Health Care Services
- Head to Health has digital mental health resources provided by the Australian Department of Health, including apps, online programs and phone services.
Suicide and crisis support
If you or an employee is in an emergency, or at immediate risk of harming yourself or others, please contact emergency services on 000.
To talk to someone now call these 24 hour support services: