Image of lady smiling with her hand on her headset.

Assessing your injury

During an initial consultation, your doctor will assess your injury and decide what kind of treatment you need, including the frequency and duration of the treatment. They will also assess your ability to return to work. If you are likely to need time away from work, your doctor will also make a recommendation on how you should return to work, for example:

  • returning to work on non-consecutive work days or on light duties
  • gradually increasing your work hours.

They may also recommend a workplace assessment to identify your return to work options. 

Your doctor will provide you with a Work Capacity Certificate (PDF, 603 KB) which you will need to provide to your claims agent. You can start the claim process before obtaining a Work Capacity Certificate from a doctor.  

Assessing serious injuries

If your injury is likely to be classified as serious, your mobile case manager will refer you for a whole person impairment assessment when there is evidence that your injury has stabilised. If your mobile case manager does not refer you and you think that you may require an assessment, you may request one.

A whole person impairment assessment will be conducted by an accredited impairment assessor  (PDF, 535 KB) once your injury has stabilised.

While you are waiting for your injury to stabilise, you may apply to ReturnToWorkSA to make an interim decision to classify your injury as serious until such time as you are able to undergo an impairment assessment.