Opioids, pain and deprescribing
View our recent webinar on opioids, pain and deprescribing with Associate Professor Mike McDonough (Consultant in Addiction Medicine & Toxicology, Drug and Alcohol Services, SA Health) and Doctor Chris Bollen (Medical Advisor, ReturnToWorkSA). This 40 minute recording covers a number of subjects regarding opioid use in South Australia, and the issues of managing pain and deprescribing drugs of dependency.
The below time-codes are provided to allow you to jump to particular points of interest in the webinar.
- 1.00 min – Setting the scene, introduction to Case Study
- 6.30 min – The Opioid Epidemic
- 9.45 min – Examining Base Supply Trends
- 14.30 min – Top 10 Opioids within the Scheme
- 17.22 min – The Impact of Opioids
- 22.20 min – Dose Related Overdose Risks & Understanding Sources
- 29.51 min – Who is at risk?
- 31.39 min – How to Deprescribe and Wean Opioids
- 39.00 min – Professional & Consumer Resources
Professional resources for deprescribing
- Phone: 08 7087 1742
- 24 hr specialist support & advice for health professionals.
Drug and Therapeutics Information Service (DATIS)
- Phone: 08 7425 8444
- Provides clinical pharmacy services to General Practitioners.
Faculty of Pain, Australian & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists
- Resources to support appropriate and accountable prescribing of opioid medications.
- Online clinical e-Audit (provides CPD points) - "Chronic Pain: Opioids and Beyond"