A woman with headphones is looking at a computer screen.

Information for people who work past retirement age

Information for people injured at work who are past retirement age at the time of their injury.

Am I covered by work injury insurance if I am past retirement age and working?

Yes, if you are injured at work and are past retirement age at the time of your injury you are covered under the Return to Work scheme, subject to the same eligibility criteria as people below retirement age.

What support and services am I entitled to?

If your claim is accepted, you may be entitled to:

  • income support if you are unable to work up to a maximum period of 104 weeks from your incapacity to work
    • 100% of your average weekly earnings during a period of 52 weeks from the first day you are unable to work
    • then 80% of your average weekly earnings during the following period of 52 weeks
  • financial support for reasonable and necessary medical and related expenses
    • for up to 12 months after your income support  ceases
    • or lifetime care and support if you are assessed as seriously injured
  • return to work services
    • like job placement and retraining as reasonably required
    • or if requested if you are seriously injured
  • lump sum payments
    • for non-economic loss, in most cases, if your injury results in a whole person impairment of more than 5%
    • for economic loss, in most cases,  if you are aged less than 70 years and your injury results in a whole person impairment of between 5% and 29%.

How is retirement age defined for the purposes of work injury insurance?

Retirement age is defined as:

  • the age when a person is eligible to receive the age pension according to the Social Security Act 1991 (Cth) which is currently set at 65 years of age, or
  • the normal retiring age, if any, for the worker’s occupation, whichever is the lesser.

From July 2017, eligibility for the age pension will gradually increase from 65 to 67 years.

Where do I obtain more information?

Contact us on 13 18 55 or your claims agent if you have specific questions about your claim.