Prescription medication dependence - resources for workers
- Family Drug Support Australia. For support, call 1300 368 186 24hrs a day.
- Alcohol & Drug Information Service is a confidential telephone counselling, information and referral service for the general public, concerned family and friends, students and health professionals. They are available 8.30am to 10.00pm every day on 1300 13 13 40.
- ScriptWise is a not for profit organisation that aims to prevent prescription medication misuse and overdose fatalities in Australia. They provide support services for you, and the people you care about, if you have a problem with using pharmaceutical medications. Their website provides a number of helplines to assist you, as well as resources outlining different treatment options.
- Medicines Line provides information on prescription, over-the-counter and complementary (herbal, ‘natural’, vitamin and mineral) medicines. You will speak with an experienced registered nurse, where your question may be answered on the spot, or may be referred to your GP or pharmacist (or other health professional). If you have a complex enquiry, you may be put through to an NPS MedicineWise pharmacist. Call Medicines Line on 1300 MEDICINE.
- NPS MedicineWise provides articles and information to help you make the best decisions about your opioid medicines and medical tests.
- Video - Medicine misuse can happen to anyone
- The MedicineWise app allows you to easily keep track of medicines and access important health information anytime and anywhere, especially in emergencies. It is available on Google and Apple devices.
- Can medicines be addictive? is useful information on dependence and addiction provided by Healthdirect. They also provide a number of other resources, including articles on medicines and a symptom checker.
- Lifeline provides information on Substance Abuse and Addiction and a Factsheet on Substance Abuse and Addiction. Lifeline can be contacted on 13 11 14 (24hrs a day). They also provide an online nightly chat (7 days a week) and a number of other resources.