When you apply to become self-insured, you are applying for direct responsibility and management of all existing and new work injury claims in your workplace. You will be responsible for managing work injuries in accordance with the Return to Work Act, as well as ensuring you have appropriate work health safety systems in place to minimise the incidence of work injuries.
To become self-insured, you will need to:
- complete and submit an expression of interest for registration as a self-insured employer
- pay an application fee, based on the number of employees, of between $10,000 and $40,000 (plus GST)
- submit an Application for registration as a single or group self-insured employer
- participate in the evaluation of your application and readiness for registration as a self-insured employer
- accept liability to make all outstanding payments on claims incurred before becoming a self-insured employer
- be approved by the Board of ReturnToWorkSA as a single or group self-insured employer
- provide the following documents (at your own cost):
- actuarial reports
- financial guarantees
- excess of loss insurance
- implement a claims management system that will enable the provision of claims data.
Assessing your application
When assessing your suitability and readiness to become self-insured, we will consider:
- the number of workers employed
- the resources that you have for the administration of claims under the Return to Work Act 2014
- whether you are likely to be able to continue to meet your liabilities
- the design and implementation of your work health and safety, and injury management systems
- interactions with SafeWork SA
- the incidence and severity of injuries in your workplace/s
- your effect of working conditions
- your recovery and return to work record
- your record in providing suitable employment
- the views of industrial associations with a proper interest in your application
In deciding to grant a period of registration as a self-insured employer we may also have regard to any other matter that we consider relevant.
Further information about what it means to be self-insured can be found in the Code of conduct for self-insured employers. (PDF, 11476 KB)
How to apply
To apply to become self-insured, please call 13 18 55 or email SelfInsured@rtwsa.com to arrange a time to meet with us. In this first meeting, we will explain what it means to be self-insured and the steps you need to take to become self-insured.